Three days ago I was trying to force the deletion of some files by using
rm -rf. I pressed enter and it spit out some errors mentioning directories a level above where I was. I instantly pressed Ctrl-c, but it was too late. Some files were already gone. My code! In despair I downloaded file recovery programs but neither of them found my files. I settled on rewriting the code from archives I had put in Dropbox, and now, after two days of coding, I'm back to where I was. (I have to admit, I think it's more elegant now than it was.)
This unpleasant happening prompted me to take extreme measures to make sure I don't lose code again. I did two things:
- Setup a FreeBSD server to push my git repositories to.
- Added a post-commit hook to archive git repositories and put them in Dropbox.
Here is the post-commit hook. (Note: it excludes the
build directory from the archive.)
#!/bin/sh PWD=`pwd` DIR=`basename "$PWD"` DROPBOX="/path/to/my/Dropbox/$DIR.tar.gz" # move above the git repo cd "$PWD/.." # tar and zip it tar -cf "$DIR.tar" --exclude "$DIR/build" "$DIR" gzip -f "$DIR.tar" > $DROPBOX